This Italianate style brick store was built by William, Edwin and Wyatt A. Jaffary, replacing their father’s 1863 frame store. The name ‘Jaffary’, bricked into the façade, is hidden under the current sign. The store offered groceries, dry goods and tobacco. Until 1914, whisky was also sold, poured from casks into whatever container the customer brought in. Maggie Alexander made hats upstairs until 1920. After 1943, various managers ran the store until Ted Houston assumed sole ownership in 1951, bought the building in 1954 and moved into the residence upstairs.