Laurel Hill Cemetery ‘Dead’ House c.1894 – 389 Centennial Drive, Bolton

Built Heritage | Heritage Properties | Historic Sites | Historic Walking Tour - Bolton East

This is one of only a few Octagonal ‘dead’ houses in Ontario. The Laurel Hill Cemetery ‘dead’ house was built for the storage of caskets when winter burial was not possible. It was used until the 1920s when George Norton, caretaker at this time, discovered that by using galvanized iron to heat the ground, graves could be dug in the winter.